Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"For Women Only: the Bible study"

Pin It

A few weeks ago Hubs and I were out randomly roaming around. We were kind of listless and had no definitive plans. All of us were in a pretty foul mood. Naturally we decided to take a two hour drive cooped up together to the Lifeway Store. It was not a pleasant ride. Of course God is always working. Always showing us something.

Hubs sent me out in the store by my onsies to peruse in peace while he watched Little Bit. I love bible studies. I guess the teacher in me is really drawn to those cute little workbooks. The helpful guides that put you on the right path and reveal things you need to work on.

After such a miserable day I was looking through the workbooks on marriage. I need to change I thought. More likely God was whispering, err shouting it in my ear. I found a workbook by Shaunti Feldhahn entitled "For Women Only: the Bible study." I have seen the actual book on the shelves before and I know Shaunti is a respected Christian author so I began to look through the workbook.

"For Women Only: the Bible study" takes a one sided approach. It is a Bible study that focuses on how women can change their attitudes through prayer and study to be better wives (just plain old better humans as well). So I picked it up and found Hubs again. He is an inquisitive soul so he wanted to see what I had gotten. I showed him but made it pretty clear this was a personal book. Not something I was ready to share the contents of with him quite yet.

It has been a week and I have certainly garnered some valuable information from this study. The biggest aha! moment came from Ephesians 5:33

"To sum up, each one of you is to love his wife as himself, and the wife is to respect her husband."

There is one little word in this verse I must have conveniently overlooked. That word is respect. The Lord gave us this verse and told our husbands to love us. What did He tell us to do? Respect.

If anyone is interested in getting "For Women Only: the Bible study" and doing a Bible study with me that would be fantastic. Has anyone ever gone through this study before? Have you ever really studied Ephesians 5:33 and dissected its meaning?

20 comments:

  1. Oooh! I would love to! Found you through the blog hop! Funny, I have been praying for a bible study partner! www.peacefuldivas.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have not! Might mark the page in the Bible to look later. Hadn't heard of that book. I have the "Save your marriage in 5 minutes a day" book coming from Booksneeze to review. I'll let you know how that one is! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting! My husband and I are fairly new to church and we haven't joined a small group or done any bible studies yet. I am definitely interested. Where would I go to pick up a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of Shaunti Feldhaun before, but not this particular book. It sounds like something I would be very interested. I will keep an eye out for it next time I'm at Focus or the Christian bookstore. Thank you for sharing this and for linking up to SVS! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to check it out. It sounds very interesting. I haven't been going to church regularly for awhile but I do miss it. I will have to look at a copy.

    I'm now following from the I love my Online Friends Monday Hop! Would love if you'd stop by and check out my blog at http://www.formulamom.com ! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! I'm looking into starting a Bible study in my neighborhood. I'm a new follower. would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest follower... I would definately be interested! I am looking for a study currently, I am feeling called to start one (life is rocky right now and I need to replant myself). Let me know if you begin a study group.

    ~Abbey
    http://lifeasalake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! :) Awesome blog - I am your newest follower from the blog hop. Would love a follow back!

    Alex
    http://www.thekidisrich.blogspot.com/
    EDUCATING KIDS AND TEENS IN BUSINESS, MONEY MANAGEMENT, AND EARNING MONEY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds great, I have never heard of the author, but I would love to find this book.
    Visiting from the Alexa hop
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of this specific one.
    I went th church when I was a kid, but we dont go anymore.
    Too intimidating to find one in our area with 6 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a great bible study very informative on an important issue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...I'm going to look up this author and her books. This sounds very interesting. I'm so glad that God led you to this book and that you found it helpful. :)

    I found you from the Alexa hop and am now following you.
    http://raisingmy5sons.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You now have a new follower make sure you follow back please http://christy1986p.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. How interesting...

    I am a new follower from the blog hop. I am following gfc and on twitter as CandidaJourney

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this book but havent read it yet. Maybe I shoudl add it to my next to be read pile. I usually just go in there and stare at books until one jumps off at me.

    Over from teh Alexa blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I posted a linkback to you on my thankful thursday post today :)

    http://erraticallyelizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/04/thankful-thursday-faith.html

    thanks for inspiring me to participate in my first bible study :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard of this particular study. I'll have to check it out. As much as we, as women, crave cherishing and attention, men need respect. After 36 years of marriage, I've found they work well together.

    Joyfully,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I'm a new follower & found you via the hop. Also, on my site there's a page devoted to hops for every day of the week. Go to the top of my sidebar for the link.

    Check out my caption contest giveaway at http://acts17verse28.blogspot.com/2011/04/calling-for-captions.htm. It runs through the end of April.

    Good luck, and have a great week!

    NCSue

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS - I hope you don't mind but I included a link to your Seeking Virtue hop on my blog hop page.

    ReplyDelete
  20. http://www.danoah.com/2011/01/mom-pushed-daddy-out-door.html

    A blog post that this entry reminded me of... obviously, it's written from a secular point of view, but this is what I love about the bible- the human side of it. That in so many years, through so many changes, the heart is still the same.

    I thought about that when I was in my early teens, when I read a line from a book- "and all the Rachels wept for their children and would not be comforted, because their children were no more." I didn't understand it, so it stuck with me while I turned it over in my head.

    ReplyDelete